My son had his 7th birthday over the weekend. I always make birthday cakes for my family but this year I decided to attempt to make my own ice cream cake.
- 12 pack of full size ice cream sandwiches (I used 2 boxes because we are a big family)
- 1 container of Cool Whip
- 3-4 Crumbled cookies of your choice
- 1 cup of M & M's (I used a combination of peanut M & M's & peanut butter M & M's) you could use any candy of your choice.
- I placed a layer of ice cream sandwiches on a plate - 5 wide then I did another layer on the top but this time I put it over the bottom layer vertically. After the 2nd layer of ice cream sandwiches I spread on Cool Whip and then I crumbled up Chips Ahoy cookies and then proceeded with my 3rd layer of ice cream sandwiches. The 3rd layer was now horizontal then the 4th layer vertical.
- Target has the best ice cream sandwiches - they seem to be longer than other brand. Plus the packaging for each ice cream sandwich is easier to open vs. other brands which makes a difference especially when you are try to work quickly before everything melts.
There are so many different ways to make this cake. Whether it be size, shapes, fillings, etc. I made mine tall because both of my freezers are full and I didn’t really have room to make a long or wide cake. When I cut the cake I cut it from the top half way through because from top to bottom would have been too big of a piece! I recommend cutting them into small pieces because it is good but sweet!
It is super easy to make and most importantly my little birthday boy enjoyed it! How about you have you ever made an ice cream cake before? Yum
Mama to 5 Blessings is also linking this post at: